Agnone is a small town in the Molise region of southern Italy and is known for the manufacturing of bells by the Marinelli Bell Foundry.
Agnone is in the center of important archaeological vestiges of the old Oscan-Samnite civilizationand is sometimes called “the Athens of the Sannio” due to the large number of ancient ruins of the Samnitic culture. According to the tradition, the name of Agnone derives from the old city of Aquilonia that was destroyed by the Romans.
Agnone appears on Roman maps under different regions at various times as Aprutium, Picenum, Sabina et Samnium, Flaminia et Picenum and/or Campania et Samnium. The Roman penchant for building seems to have passed Agnone over as Samnitic architecture still prevailed. Agnone was an important center during the rule of the Lombards, but then was left decaying in the centuries immediately preceding 1000, while the Verrino Valley and surrounding hills became a place of hermitages, monasteries and small agricultural colonies.
It is worth visiting the International Bell Museum and the Church of Saint Francis. No less interesting is the civil architecture of the village: the old town is of a clear Venetian style, in fact, venturing along the narrow streets of the ancient village you encounter frequently in the Venetian workshops and small stone statues depicting, Venetian lions. The Ancient Bottega Orafa, located in Corso Garibaldi, testifies to an ancient migration of lagoon artisans towards Agnone, which had happened centuries ago by the Borrello family. Interesting is the main square in the historic center, Plebiscito Square, formerly called Tomolo Square where, at the end of the nineteenth century, the Monument was inaugurated to the illustrious Libero Serafini citizen. Also in this square there are seven streets that start from as many other areas of the ancient village, which houses a characteristic marble fountain dating back to 1881 (the year of the construction of the first urban aqueduct of Agnese).